I will show you how to keep Ubuntu up to date.
These methods are not limited to specific versions, such as Ubuntu 12.04, 14.04, or 16.04.
-. How to keep it up to date using Terminal (cmd)
-. How to stay up-to-date with the UI
How to keep it up to date using Terminal (cmd)
1. Obtain the latest package list from the server defined in /etc/apt/sources.list with the following command:
# apt-get update
# aptitude update
2. Use the following command to update the packages currently installed on the system.
# apt-get upgrade
# aptitude upgrade
# I have attached a man page for apt-get for reference.
As shown below, the update command resynchronizes the package index, and upgrade is the command to re-install the currently installed package.
How to stay up-to-date with the UI
1. Run Ubuntu Software from the left menu.
2. Select “Updates” from “All”, “Installed”, “Updates” at the top after execution.
3. Select “Updates” and press the “Install” button on the upper right corner.
4. After all Installs are finished, try “apt-get upgrade” through Terminal and you will see that all packages are up-to-date.